Wednesday, January 24, 2007

January 23, 2007 Sydney – Cairns, Australia

January 23, 2007
Sydney – Cairns, Australia

We woke up this morning at around 10:00. I threw the rest of my stuff in my bag and headed out of the room. After a quick breakfast I jumped on the internet to check my financial situation. A few minutes later the boys came out and we hung out in the common room for a few minutes.

At 11:00 we checked out of our hostel. Still, we left our things there for another hour. I then made a quick trip to STA Travel to change a date on my ticket. I returned to the hostel to find the boys playing on the internet.

A few minutes after noon we headed out with our things. We paid $8.40 ASD and rode a few trains to the Airport. After checking-in we went through security and we found our gate, where we chilled out until our flight took off (15:05). As we waited for our plane I munched on some leftover pizza from last night (which I brought to the airport in a plastic bag).

The flight was pretty basic. I finished my Bill Bryson Book Down Under and took a short nap. We arrived in Cairns (very North East Australia) at 17:00 (after losing an hour in flight). Once we collected our bags we went outside and waited for a free pickup from our hostel, the Serpent Resort.

The Serpent Resort was a super nice hostel! It was quite large and had a fun atmosphere. We settled into our room (a 6 person dorm that was empty except for us) and then B and I decided to jump into the pool. Shortly thereafter we jumped in line for some free BBQ food.

After eating we attempted to use the internet but decided that it was far too expensive ($8 ASD per hour) and instead retired to our room. As we settled in to watch a DVD the fire alarm went off. We filed outside with all the other patrons and waited for the fire department to come and shutoff the alarm.

Instead of immediately returning to our room we went for a walk around town. Unfortunately, the hostel is located in a remote part of town. The only thing of interest was a gas station. The boys purchased some desert and I enjoyed the warm tropical evening.

From there we returned to our room. We made ourselves comfortable and started watching a Deadwood DVD’s. After a few episodes it was time to get to sleep.

2 comments:

Nate said...

how was the gas station though? you are leaving out important details like the number of pumps, and the price of gas... Pick it up Seany

Anonymous said...

I hope that you have emailed Fiona and let her know that you are in Australia. She did promise to show you a good time, didn't she? Email her today!
AJ