Saturday, November 11, 2006

November 10th, 2006 Nile River Sailing, Egypt

November 10th, 2006
Nile River Sailing, Egypt

I woke up at 4:30 to the sound of a barking dog in the distance. I decided that I had better go pee before going back to bed. I hoped off the boat and made my way to our designated toilet. As I relieved myself the barking got closer and closer. While I was in the middle of peeing a large white dog appeared from behind a palm tree and started growling. I quickly zipped up my pants and rushed back to the felucca. It took a few minutes for me to get back to sleep.

At about 6:45 sunlight shown throughout our boat and everyone started to wake up. We all stayed in our sleeping bags until breakfast was served (just after 8:00). Incredibly, we were treated to pancakes for breakfast. Once the morning feast was complete we set sail.

The morning was very similar to yesterday. I started reading a book, drank a few beers, and watched the water go by. Once again we had lunch at around 13:00. After eating (almost) everyone jumped into the river for a long swim in the Nile. The current was incredibly strong. Everyone had a great time as we pushed one another off the boat and wrestled around in the water.

Once everyone was back on the boat we resumed our northward journey. At 14:30 we stopped at the small village of Daraw. We left our felucca and rode around in a very small bus. Dan was even forced to hang out the back. Our first stop in the village was a holding area for camels. Once of the locals coerced me into jumping onto one of the camels (without a saddle) for a quick ride around the stable. By the end of the ride the camel was not happy and I was surprised how mean a camel can look when it shows its teeth!

Next, we stopped at a large camel market. Apparently, camels are shipped to Daraw from Sudan (in trucks and trains) and then resold all over Egypt. Camels range in price from 3,000 Egyptian Pounds (less than $600) to 12,000 Pounds (about $2500). Evidently, the size of the camels hump is indicative of strength and, therefore, price.

Once we were done with the camels we visited the local souk. Everyone had a strange craving for chocolate, much to the delight of the local shopkeeper. Once we had purchased almost all of his candy we took a rest at the teashop (and shi-sha shop).

At 16:30 we made our way back to the felucca. We sailed for about 30 minutes and arrived at our stop for the night. After being treated to a beautiful sunset, we had our last dinner aboard the boat.

When dinner was over we played a number of silly (camping style) games. The Robertson family (from New Zealand) taught everyone a complicated game where everyone is an instrument. Although we never got the hang of it, it was very entertaining. Then, just before bed, a large New Zealand vs USA wrestling match broke out…

As we fell made our way into sleeping bags it became apparent that everyone had very bad gas (silly vegetarian food). The entire ship smelled really bad and made falling asleep somewhat difficult. Still, it was rather hilarious.

1 comment:

Stu Holdren said...

Those crazy Saluki dogs always disrupt my pee sessions when I am in Egypt!!

Was anyone on the boat a big snorer? That looks like pretty close quarters for sleeping!

Swimming in the Nile = swimming with piranhas? yes/no

I love camel markets. They should blast the Black Eyed Peas - My Humps all through the area. I think that would drive the marketability of camels.