Wednesday, September 20, 2006

September 20th, Firenze - Pisa - Nice, France

September 20, 2006
Firenze – Pisa – Nice, France

Well bloggers, I posted yesterday’s blog a little early. The evening was filled with activity! After posting my blog I was chilling out in my room when one of my new roommates showed up (an Italian). He informed me that the Galleria Academia was having free entry after 7:00. I decided to rush over there and check it out.

The galleria was only a short walk from my hostel and I was surprised that there was almost no line (compared to the day when the line is MASSIVE). I don’t think many people were told about the free entry and most people that were there seemed to be Italians. When I got into the museum I went straight for the famous David (and his legendary penis). It was awesome!

The statue was so C O O L (but no pictures allowed…so i took one of the replica in town)! It was larger than I imagined (the statue that is) and it looked very polished (recently cleaned in 2004). I was not aware that the statue was depicting David after he had defeated Goliath. After taking it all in I moved on to the rest of the museum. There were some other cool statues by Michelangelo that I liked. Everything else kind of paled in comparison.

I left the museum at around 8:00 and made my way over to the Piazza central where I met Tara and some of her friends for dinner. I had a pizza that was not very tasty but it was till a fun night because this Australian guy kept buying glasses of wine for everyone.

Dinner lasted a long time and I did not make it back to my hostel until just before 11:00. As I packed my stuff up I talked with one of my hostel mates that has lived in Cambodia (Molika). She gave me some cool ideas of stuff to do in Ssoutheast Asia.

On to today:

I woke up at 8:00 and packed the rest of my things. I was going to go try to return my ticket to the Galleria Academia but I did not have time as I had to make my train to Pisa. I got on the 9:27 train to Pisa just in time!

Once I got to Pisa I had to get some food. I was starving! Then, I decided to reserve my seat on my train from Pisa to Nice. After finishing all of the important stuff I jumped on a bus and made my way to the Campo dei Miracoli (where the leaning tower is)!

The leaning tower was really cool. I took a lot of pictures and circled the entire field a couple of times. I did not have time to go up the tower and perform Galilean experiments so I guess I will save that for next time…(ok mom?)

After spending about an hour and a half at and around the tower I headed back to the train station. From about 13:00 to 19:00 I was on trains, as I made my way to Nice, France.

At about 19:30 I arrived at my hostel and settled in. It is the nicest hostel yet! Upon arriving I went down to the restaurant and grabbed some dinner and a cheap beer. As I made my way back up the stairs to my room I ran into Marty Baston! The Baston’s had received my email and made it to the hostel. We were all reunited.

Marty gave me some gifts from my mom and my Jackie. I got harry potter 5 on CD, some candy, a sweet picture, and an AWESOME bracelet. I quickly phoned Jackie to say thank you (don’t worry mom, I’ll call you tomorrow!).

Now it is off to bed. This hostel is so nice we are going to stay one more night here and explore Nice tomorrow…

1 comment:

Stu Holdren said...

Ok, when I envisioned the battle between David and Goliath, David was certainly clothed. Do you think he was naked when the battle started?

Thoughts to ponder.