Thursday, September 14, 2006

September 13th, Cinque Terra - Rome, Italy

September 13, 2006
Cinque Terra – Rome, Italy

BREAKING NEWS: Jackie Just Purchased a Ticket to Thailand so I am super excited about that! Anyone else who would like to join us should do so!

I woke up this morning at 10:45 and went outside the check the weather. On the way the hostel manager accosted me. He informed me that we had to be out of the hostel by 11:00. I quickly went to wake the Bastons.

We lugged our stuff out to the front yard so that we would be out in time. We spent the next 20-30 minutes packing our bags in the grass. B even showered using the hose. We then hung out in the front yard with the other hostel goers until the bus to cinque terra came.

Once we got into town I headed to the dive shop with the Canadians. The three of us decided to go diving (the Baston’s couldn’t go because they are not certified). An Australian and an Oregonian (from Portland, on his honeymoon) accompanied us on our dive. It was a little bit more expensive than I would have liked but I decided to splurge because it was such a nice day.

After getting some food and suiting up we headed to the boat. It was a small white boat with just enough room for the divers, a dive master, and boat captain. We road the vessel to a nice cove and then entered the water by rolling over the edge of the boat.

Scuba diving was super cool! We were under water for about an hour. We stayed in a tight group and followed the dive master across the reef. We saw some cool anemones, fish (including a grouper), and sponges. Still my absolute favorite was the octopus that we spotted hiding in a rock. On our way back to the boat I informed the dive master that my air was getting a little low. In fact, I ran out of air as we were surfacing and had to share. I have not gone diving in a long time and was breathing faster (subconsciously) than I should have been. Even so, it was a great time and I made it to the surface alive.

After the dive we went to the (very) rocky beach in town and at what food we had left. Our meal included crackers, cheese, fruit, and some foccocia bread. As we were eating the Bastons met up with us (not quite sure what they were doing). After jumping in the water one last time, we headed to the train station.

The Canadian girls (Sharilyn and Meghan) have decided to accompany us to Rome. Apparently we look like nice guys and girls like to join us on our adventure for safety. We are all currently on the train and very tired. The sun is setting and we are in a compartment that is reminiscent of way Harry Potter travels to Hogwarts.

UPDATE:

I slept for most of the ride from La Spezia to Rome. The train was almost completely empty and I found a nice spot to lie down and take a nap. Once we arrived in Rome we found a phone and called the campsite where we had a reservation (to make sure they were still open – it was almost 11:00). We attempted to follow the directions to the campsite but were quickly foiled when we found that the metro was already closed.

Instead, we had to ride several busses. After getting lost (only once!), we found the correct bus and pilled in. As we were riding a very drunk Italian women came up to me and slapped me in the face. I was very taken aback and looked at the man she was with. He looked somewhat apologetic but did nothing to restrain her. After getting slapped for the second time I got up and moved out of the way. Later on the bus ride the same woman grabbed Meghan’s crotch and cursed at us in Italian. It was a strange way to welcome in the Eternal City.

Once we arrived at the campsite things were much smother. We checked in and were given keys to our room. It is a nice bungalow with three beds, air-conditioning, and a private bathroom (all for only 16 Euro per person).

I am now completely exhausted and want to get a good night sleep before starting an intense day of sightseeing.

Ciao….

PS - These pics are not from today but I didnt take any photos today and wanted to give you guys something to look at.

1 comment:

Stu Holdren said...

hahaha....I really just laughed out loud (LOL'd) at work. My cover is foiled. I just have this great image of you getting slapped by this drunk lady, then you looking shocked, and then her slapping you again. I would pay to see that!

Something else I would pay to see (but am attempting not to)is the new Borat movie. They are having a sneak preview viewing in Portland next Wednesday, and I am hoping to be in attendance (but it might not be possible because of work. I got notification of this via myspace, it read - "Jagshemash! Hello MySpaces bestfriend it Borat here. I am sends this electrical letter for invite you come special screenings of my moviefilm date September 20. Please clickings here for instruction this.

I like you, I hope you like my moviefilm. If it not success they will crush me! Chenquieh."

I thought it was funny.

Well, hop Meghan's crotch is ok.

Peace.