Monday, August 16, 2010

Wed, August 11: Arrive in New York City



7:45 am: Arrive at JFK
We got into JFK at our scheduled time, collected our luggage and made our way through customs. Because we had been working on livestock in a country with TB and FMD we had to go through a few additional security measures. Nonetheless, it was not that difficult. Almost as soon as we had completed screening many of the remaining envirovets had to scramble to make their connecting flights. The goodbyes were much more rushed than normal! 



In the end only a few of us remained in New York. Myself, Thalita (Brazil), David (India), Nate (California) and Amelie (Canada) along with her boyfriend Cedric. We made a plan to meet up later and explore the city. 



10:45 am: Subway to Brooklyn
All alone for the first time in months I navigated the subway toward Brooklyn and my cousin Emily’s apartment. Without a phone or any way to check my location, I relied entirely on Emily’s emailed directions – which were perfect. 



It took about an hour but eventually I made it! When I arrived at the apartment building I found a note to call Emily or Casey. Without a phone I had no idea what to do! Eventually one of the apartment tenants noticed me looking lost and confused and let me use his cell phone. I made contact with Emily, she came home from work and let me into the apartment.

After a quick shower and my first shave in almost a month, I headed for Thalitas hotel to meet up with the remaining envirovets. 



2:30 pm – 8:00 pm: Explore New York
After a bit of confusion we all managed to meet up near Time Square. We walked around the city on foot and saw as much of the area as we could. 



8:00 pm: Dinner
I had a quick dinner with the envirovet group and said my final goodbyes to Nate before heading back to see Emily and Casey. Once there the three of us went out for a couple of beers and got to spend some quality time together. Its always good to see family.

Central Park

Shaqs hand is much larger than mine

Times Square

No comments: